What is an EYMINT e-fellowship?
The 6-month e-fellowship programme (supported by Cerenovus with an educational grant) will enable an EYMINT member to interact directly with an ESMINT mentor and remotely view neuro-interventional procedures that are of interest to them.
The mentor and the e-fellow will have one-on-one discussions, and the e-fellow will also have one-to-one communication with the treating physician during all procedures, which will be live-streamed using the technology from Tegus Medical.
In addition, there will be joint sessions with one mentor and all e-fellows observing. In this setting one e-fellow actively interacts with the mentor via one-to one-communication. The others can ask questions in the chat.
The goal of the e-fellowship programme is to expose young neurointerventionalists to the breadth of neuro-interventional procedures performed by highly experienced professors of neuro-intervention who are members of ESMINT.
Fellows will be exposed to all aspects of interventional neuroradiology including a broad range of vascular interventions – treatment of acute ischemic stroke, cerebral aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations of the brain, and congenital cerebral and spinal malformations.
It was a privilege to be one of the first people in this revolutionary program in which I was able to actively participate in neurointerventional cases from different angiosuites across Europe. It opened my eyes and gave me a huge push forward in learning and comprehensive neurointervention as a whole. It was literally an otherworldly experience to stand beside (even though virtually) some of the greatest and forward-thinking neurointerventionalist today. With this program that famous quote by Isaac Newton: ” If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon shoulders of giants” really came to life, metaphorically and literally ?
ESMINT e-Fellow Vedran Župančić, Zagreb, Croatia
Call for new mentors
The call for mentors is closed.
Following the very successful first, second and third editions, the EYMINT e-fellowship programme is about to begin a fourth round! To enable the expansion of the programme, new mentor sites are needed – the extended deadline for applications was Sunday, 10 September 2023.
How to apply?
Please send a short statement outlining your motivation and how you match the eligibility criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the benefits for the mentor?
- Participation in a modern, state-of-the-art teaching programme of theoretical neurointerventional skills
- Direct interaction with ambitious young neurointerventional professionals from all over Europe
- Installation of a state-of-the-art remote streaming set-up in the mentor’s neuroangiography suite (paid for by the programme)
What are the requirements for mentor sites?
- The mentor should be an ESMINT Member from geographical Europe
- Fellows of EBNI are particularly invited to apply
- The mentor is an expert in one of these fields:
- Recanalizing interventions
- Thrombectomy including stent retriever and direct aspiration
- Intracranial stents and PTA
- Embolizing interventions
- Aneurysm embolization (balloon-remodeling, stent-assisted coiling, flow diverter, intra-saccular flow diverter)
- AV-malformations and AV-fistula
- Recanalizing interventions
- The mentor is experienced in proctoring and organizing interventional workshops
- The mentor site is a high-volume tertiary stroke center
Recommended curriculum during the 6-month e-fellowship
The mentor should be able to provide the following curriculum for the e-fellow:
- 10 aneurysm treatments
- 10 acute ischemic strokes
- 2 extracranial and intracranial angioplasties/stentings
- Embolizations of brain arterio-venous malformations and dural arteriovenous fistulas (numbers dependent on the caseload of the mentor center)
Who can apply for the e-fellowship?
The e-fellowship is open to all eligible ESMINT members who are accredited to independently perform neuro-interventional procedures.
The criteria of eligibility are:
- Licensed Physicians
- ESMINT members*
- Born 1975 or younger and less than 5 yrs practicing in neurointervention
- At least 12 months training in interventional neuroradiology / endovascular neurosurgery (including diagnostic neuroangiography)
- Working in a hospital with neuro facilities (INR center, neurosurgery, neurology, stroke unit) in geographical Europe
- Adequate language skills for the participating mentor suite
Selection of the e-fellowship applicants will be performed first by the EYMINT Committee, and then by the participating mentor sides.
Fellows will be chosen by the mentor sites according to language and areas of interest as outlined in the application.
This e-Fellowship was made possible by a generous educational grant from our industry partners.
*If you are not yet an ESMINT member, please apply and you can complete your ESMINT membership: join ESMINT or renew your membership
Apply for the ESMINT/EYMINT e-Fellowship
Applications for the 2023 edition of the programme are closed. The final deadline was Tuesday, 31 October 2023 at 23.59 CEST.