Education and Qualifications
Medical training: Liverpool University
BSc Honours in Pharmacology (First Class)
MB ChB with Honours
MSc. in Clinical Imaging (Edinburgh)
MD with Distinction (Edinburgh)
- Northern Regional rep on NHS England Neurosciences Clinical Reference Group 2016-. Active in 2 additional related committees of NHS England – Thrombectomy Policy & Neurosciences Service Specification subcommittees
- I was appointed chairman of UKSRN Acute Clinical Studies Group for a 3 year term- April 09 with requests from them to renew for further 3 years following ongoing appraisal. I am a member of the NIHR Hyperacute Stroke Research Centre Oversight Board (2010-2015)
- I represented the Royal College of Radiologists and also the British Society of Neuroradiologists on the Dept. of Health National Stroke Strategy Group and on the Intercollegiate Stroke Working Party & DH Imaging Forum in stroke. 2005-
- 2014-2017 one of the (competitively appointed) members of the RCR iREFER oversight committee & also one of the Neuroradiologists undertaking evidence review Delphi exercises for the latest (2016) revision of the RCR publication: “Making the Best Use of a Radiology Dept.”[now called i refer]. This evidence based document is extensively used nationally and internationally
- I was elected in 2006 to be a member of the British Society of Neuroradiologists [BSNR] Executive Committee and was elected in 2009 to chair the BSNR Standards Subcommittee (2009-2014). Now co-opted onto executive BSNR committee as NHS England liaison.
- Elected Secretary of UK Neurointerventional Group (2013-2017)
- Elected Chair of European Society of Minimally Invasive Neurological Therapy (ESMINT), Clinical Research Committee 2013-2015. Chair Guidelines Committee 2016-2020.
- Expert advisor for NICE, HTA, NCEPOD, Wellcome Trust and as external reviewer for MRC.
- Invited to join HTA Interventional Procedures panel 2016-2019.
- Member North East Medico-Legal Society. I undertake regular expert med-legal work with reasonably even split defendant: claimant.
- I act as a referee for many biomedical journals including the Lancet, British Medical Journal, Am J Neuroradiology, Journal of the American Medical Association, Stroke.
- I sit on Editorial Board of the Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery [JNIS].
- Trial Steering committee member – PRACTISE, HCAT & PRET trials
- Data Monitoring Committee – PRISSM Study (Chair), VITESSE Study, MR CLEAN NO-IV
- Chair, Guidelines Committee – European Society of Minimally Invasive Neurological Therapy [ESMINT]
- Raymond J, Klink R, Chagnon M et al. Hydrogel versus Bare Platinum Coils in Patients with Large or Recurrent Aneurysms Prone to Recurrence after Endovascular Treatment: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Am J Neuroradiol 2017; 10.3174/ajnr.A5101
- Cora A, Ford GA, Flynn D, Gonsalves P, White P. CTA in acute stroke: short intensive training intervention is highly effective in improving radiologists’ performance. Clin Radiol 2017; doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2017.04.015
- Mair G et al Observer Reliability of CT Angiography in the assessment of acute ischaemic stroke: Data from the Third International Stroke Trial. Stroke. 2017;48:353-360. DOI: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.015164.
- White P et al. Standards for providing safe acute ischaemic stroke thrombectomy services (September 2015). Clinical Radiol 2016; 10.1016/j.crad.2016.11.008
- Lenthall R, White P et al. BSNR training guidance for mechanical thrombectomy. Clinical Radiol 2016; 10.1016/j.crad.2016.11.007
- Muir KW, Ford GA, Messow C-M et al. Endovascular therapy for acute ischaemic stroke: the Pragmatic Ischaemic Stroke Thrombectomy Evaluation (PISTE) randomised, controlled trial. J Neurol Neurosurg Psych 2016;0:1-7. doi:10.1136/jnnp-2016-314117
- Flynn D et al. Characteristics of intra-arterial thrombectomy service provision in England. Int J of Stroke 2016
- Muir KW, White PM. HERMES: messenger for stroke interventional treatment. Comment. Lancet February 18, 2016 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ S0140-6736(16)00351-2
- Horne MA, Flemming KD, I‐Chang Su MD, Stapf C, Pyeong Jeon J, Li DA , Maxwell SS, White PM et al. Clinical course of untreated cerebral cavernous malformations: an individual patient data metaanalysis. Lancet Neurology 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(15)00303-8
- Lavine SD, White PM et al. Training Guidelines for Endovascular Ischemic Stroke Intervention: An International multi-society consensus document Am J Neuroradiol 2016, 10.3174/ajnr.A4766