On Monday, 18 December 2023 from 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM CET, we will host an ESMINT Webinar on Large European trials. We are thrilled to share exclusive insights into two groundbreaking clinical trials shaping the landscape of neurointerventions in Europe.
The speakers of the ESMINT webinar are Prof. Jens Fiehler (Hamburg, Germany), Prof. Dr. Götz Thomalla (Hamburg, Germany), and Prof. Dr. Marios Psychogios (Basel, Switzerland). The webinar will also be moderated by Prof. Dr. Marios Psychogios.
This is a special ESMINT Webinar and is free of charge.
What is the webinar about?
Results of the randomized TENSION trial of thrombectomy in patients with large core will be presented and discussed. TENSION was an international randomized trial of endovascular thrombectomy in patients with large vessel occlusion and ASPECTS 3-5 assessed by visual inspection of standard of care imaging, mainly non-contrast CT. The trial demonstrated an association of thrombectomy with improved functional outcome and 90 days and reduced mortality in patients with large vessel occlusion and large core.
Furthermore, you will receive an update on the DISTAL trial for mechanical thrombectomy of medium- and distal-vessel occlusion.
The key message
- Thrombectomy improves functional outcome and reduces mortality in patients with LVO an already large core assessed by non-contrast CT alone.
- Join one of the running trials and keep randomizing MeVOs and DVOs
About the speakers
Prof. Dr. Jens Fiehler
- Prof. Dr. Jens Fiehler is the Director of the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology in the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf in Germany.
- He published more than 600 peer-reviewed papers. As Associate Editor for the Journal of NeuroInterventional Surgery (JNIS) and Section Editor-Interventional Neuroradiology for Clinical Neuroradiology, he aims to support and foster high-quality research in European Interventional Neuroradiology.
- His main research focus is imaging analysis and advanced study methodology in Interventional Neuroradiology. He is currently managing the imaging core lab of more than 30 studies.
- Jens Fiehler was a founding member of ESMINT and served in the Executive Committee and its president. He is now in the Continuation Committee.
Prof. Dr. Götz Thomalla
- Prof. Dr. Götz Thomalla is Director of the Department of Neurology at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE), Hamburg, Germany.
- He is Neurological PI of the TENSION trial.
- Previously Coordinating Investigator of the WAKE-UP trial.
- He was founding coordinator of the German Stroke Trials Network.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the European Stroke Association (ESO).
Prof. Dr. Marios Psychogios
- Prof. Marios Psychogios is a leading physician in the field of neurointerventions who is heading the Department of Interventional and Diagnostic Neuroradiology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland.
- He graduated in 2006 from School of Medicine, University of Crete and moved in 2007 to University Hospital Goettingen where he led the Stroke Research group and later became the Acting Head of the Department of Interventional and Diagnostic Neuroradiology.
What to expect?
This ESMINT webinar provides you with the opportunity to meet experts, who will share their experience, practice, and way of thinking regarding everyday challenges in the field of neurointerventions with you.
The webinar will be an interactive live transmission. All participants will be able to ask questions via the online chat function.